Caldo Gallego (Vegan)
One of my favorite soups from Spain but the vegan version of it.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- salt, to taste
- 6 cups low sodium veggie broth
- 1.5 pounds of red potatoes
- 1 can white beans
- 1/2 bunch kale
- Pinch smoked paprika
- Optional: soyrizo
- Large pot
- In a large pot, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil, season with salt
- Add veggie broth, and bring to a boil
- Add the potatoes and beans. If needed, add water to cover the potatoes by 1/2 inch. Add smoked paprika to taste.
- Optional step: leave the soyrizo in its casing but poke it in a few places to let the flavor into the broth as the potatoes cook. (Remove before serving and save for another use.)
- Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Add kale, cook until kale is softened (about 2 minutes)