Meatless "Chicken" Noodle Soup (Almost Vegan)
Comforting, creamy “chicken” noodle soup! You can easily make this vegan by substituting silken tofu for the eggs, or by just using prepackaged noodles that are vegan.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
For the soup
- 16 oz plant-based chicken
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp herbes de provence
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, or other cooking oil
- 4 Tbsp vegan butter
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups oat milk, or the plant milk of your preference
- 4 cups low sodium veggie broth
- 2 Tbsp yellow miso paste, or Better than Bouillon vegan chicken flavor
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
For the handmade noodles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 or 4 large eggs
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Large pot
- Rolling pin
- On a clean counter or cutting board, form a well in the flour and add eggs (or to make them vegan, use 3-4 Tbsp silken tofu). Mix until combined.
- Knead for 5-10 minutes or until dough forms into a smooth ball.
- Roll the dough out to the desired thickness
- Cut into half-inch wide strips
- In a large pot, sauté plant-based chicken in 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil, season with salt to taste
- Once heated, remove from the pot and add onions, celery, carrots, herbes de Provence, and garlic. Season with salt. Sauté for a few minutes until softened.
- Add vegan butter. When the butter has melted, add flour one Tbsp at a time, mixing well to form a roux.
- Add oat milk and combine well.
- Add veggie broth and miso paste. Bring to a boil.
- Add the plant-based chicken and noodles and cook until noodles are done.
- Adjust seasoning as necessary with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and enjoy!