This is one of those dishes where I just kind of wing it, but the latest iteration was delicious enough to save and share. You’ll need my sofrito recipe.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 package Seitan chorizo Tip: I really like Upton Natural's chorizo, which is usually at Target
- 1 cup paella rice, or other medium-grain rice
- 1 cup sofrito
- 2 cups low sodium veggie broth or water
- 7 marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 tsp parsley, freshly chopped
- Black pepper, freshly cracked
- Pinch of saffron
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- Lime juice (Optional, but highly recommended)
- 10-inch paella pan preferred, but you can use a regular skillet
- In a small (10-inch) paella pan or skillet, heat olive oil
- Brown the seitan chorizo for 3-5 minutes
- Move the seitan chorizo to the sides of the pan and add the rice to the middle. Toast in olive oil 2-3 minutes.
- Add sofrito, saffron, paprika, and veggie broth or water. Stir. Bring to a boil. After this point, do not stir the mixture.
- Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, adding broth or water if needed. (If you see a spot in the pan that looks dry.)
- Add artichoke hearts and push them into the rice mixture. Cook for 5-10 more minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and cover with foil for 10 minutes.
- To serve, top with parsley, pepper, and lime juice.